There are lots of websites that provide you with resources to help your child read. Other websites help you and your child find quality texts that you can enjoy together. Here are a few of the best.
BookTrust transforms lives by getting children and families reading. BookTrust is the UK's largest children's reading charity. Each year they reach 3.4 million children across the UK with books, resources and support. www.booktrust.org
Books for Keeps
Books for Keeps is the UK’s leading, independent children’s book magazine. It was launched in 1980 and ever since has been reviewing hundreds of new children’s books each year and publishing articles on every aspect of writing for children. There are over 12,500 reviews on our new website and more than 2,000 articles including interviews with the top children’s authors and illustrators. www.booksforkeeps.co.uk
For over 30 years, Letterbox Library has been a leading children's bookseller and education supplier, bringing teachers, librarians and parents the best in inclusive children's books.
We are famous for our book selection process:
- we specialise in books in which all children can see themselves and which reflect our world community in all of its diversity;
- we use an expert team of volunteers, including teachers & children, to review and choose all of our books;
- inclusive content is not enough; our reviewers only select books which also show excellence in storyline/artwork;
- we are passionate about resisting commercial trends; we want to offer children real choices in what they read;
- we are also known for our books promoting social justice.
The CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal
The CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal was established in 1955, for distinguished illustration in a book for children. It is named after the popular and highly influential nineteenth century artist known for her fine children's illustrations and designs. Awarded annually, the Medal is the only prize in the UK to solely reward outstanding illustration in a children's book. www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk
Corebooks helps primary schools choose the very best children's literature for their school or classroom libraries. This site contains a comprehensive selection of high quality texts for children from ages three to eleven and a selection of free teaching sequences. Use the ready-created booklists or create your own wishlists in the knowledge that you are selecting from the best books to engage, enthral and excite children. www.clpe.org.uk/corebooks