Mathematics is a tool for everyday life. It is a whole network of concepts and relationships which provide a way of viewing and making sense of the world. It is used to analyse and communicate information and ideas and to tackle a range of practical tasks and real life problems. Our aim is to ensure that children will leave Earlsmead Primary School as mathematically literate individuals who enjoy mathematics.
Through careful planning and preparation we aim to ensure that children are given opportunities for:
- practical activities and mathematical games
- problem solving - children are taught and given time to practise the skills for using and applying which involve the organisation of thinking, the selection of ideas and strategies to implement and evaluate these.
- developing mathematical vocabulary and language through 1:1, group and whole class discussions and activities with peers and adults.
- open and closed tasks
- developing a range of methods of calculating e.g.: mental, informal/formal written calculations and using a calculator
- working with computing as a mathematical tool
OTHER CURRICULUM SUBJECTS AND AREAS
Art / Computing / Design Technology / English / Early Years Foundation Stage / Geography / History / Maths / Modern Foreign Languages / Music / Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education / Phonics / Physical Education / Pupil Voice / Religious Studies / Science / Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development